Multivitamins help in fulfilling recommended daily allowance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which are considered as helpful for health promotion and chronic disease prevention. Generally, people take multivitamins for better energy level, immunity and for fulfilling nutritional gap in body. According to National Institute of Health USA, more than one third of American use Multivitamins for health betterment.
Why To Take Multivitamins:
Following are the some key factors, which may be appropriate for intake of Multivitamins or Dietary supplements regularly:
- People who do not eat nutritious meals or consume less than 1,600 calories a day.
- Vegetarians who eat limited variety of foods.
- Women who experience heavy bleeding during menstrual period.
- Medical conditions that affect body to absorb nutrients such as chronic diarrhea, food allergies, food intolerance or disease of the liver, gallbladder, intestines and pancreas.
- Surgery on digestive tract, which affects nutrients for poor absorption in body.
- Adults age of 50 or above should take a multivitamin that contains B-12 or a separate B-12 supplement.
Benefits Of Multivitamins:
- Consistent use of multivitamins can promote good health and prevent diseases.
- Multivitamins are a convenient and affordable way of fulfilling nutritional gap in body.
- Evidence suggests that people who use multivitamins have lower risk of some chronic diseases.
- Generous intakes of antioxidant or vitamins have been associated with reduced risk of some chronic diseases.
- Multivitamin containing Folic acid reduces women risk of having baby with neural tube birth defects.
- Multivitamins containing Folic acid plus vitamins B-6 and B-12 may reduce cardiovascular disease in the general population.
- According to Harvard School of Public Health USA, A daily multivitamin is a good nutrition insurance policy and some extra vitamin D may add an extra health boost.