Fasting is a practice of skipping daily meal for a certain period of time like for some hours or a day or two. This is practiced for centuries for various religious and cultural purposes. For example, Full moon, Navratri, etc. for Hindus, Ramadan for Muslims, Good Fridays for Catholics and many different for different religions across the globe.
But, in recent times, people have started practicing fasting for a whole new purpose i.e. health reasons. Researchers say that fasting provides numerous health benefits.
Following are the 10 surprising benefits that will motivate you to practice one:
- Fasting helps you lose weight
People looking to lose weight, here is a magic trick for you all and it is fasting which is quick and safe to get you there. Normally, when we eat food, the body burns the food to provide the required fuel to the body and extra food is converted into fat. But when you start fasting, there is less food to convert into energy and therefore body starts converting fats into energy. This process is known as lipolysis.
- Fasting promotes longevity
This is an underlying truth but studies have shown that fasting can actually help you live longer. Let us know why?
- Metabolism – As we grow older, our metabolism starts slowing down which leads to gradual loss of muscles. So fasting helps in generation of muscle tissues by boosting metabolism.
- Cells – Due to the age factor, the performance of cells decreases and old cellular matter starts accumulating within the cells. So, through fasting these cells are identified and they recycle itself to rejuvenate the mitochondria, this process is known as Autophagy.
- Hormones – Fasting stimulates the release of growth hormone, increasing bone strength, better protein synthesis, and muscle mass.
- Promotes detoxification
Additives present in food creates fat in the body. Due to nutritional deprivation during fasting, these harmful additives are triggered and neutralized by the metabolism.
- Speeds up metabolism
As discussed above, a weak digestive system gets time to prepare itself to burn food and convert it into energy.
- Boosts your brain function
Fasting boosts the production of the BNDF hormone which activates stem cells and converts them into neurons. Apart from this, it reduces the overactivity of the brain.
- Improves your immune system
We discussed how old cells are regenerated within the body and also how the body burns fat during fasting. This rejuvenation of cells leads to improved immune function.
- Fasting rejuvenates the skin and prevents acne
As we know, that fasting gives break to the body from and digestion allowing the body to focus on other organs like liver, kidneys and the skin. Fasting helps the body to get rid of toxins that are contributing factors of skin-related issues.
- Improve insulin sensitivity
Type 2 diabetes has become common which is caused by reduced insulin sensitivity and increased blood sugar levels in the bloodstream. Here fasting can help the body uses up the glucose in blood and liver since it has no other source off energy which helps in lowering blood sugar levels and increasing insulin.
- Fasting may help prevent cancer
Fasting can prevent cancer and tumors as they are caused by uncontrolled cellular growth. So while fasting, the body eliminates toxins from cells which cordially reduces risk of cancer and cancer.
- Fasting is good for your heart
Firstly, we know that fasting lowers the risk of Type 2 diabetes which lifts the risk of cardiovascular diseases and it also burns LSD cholesterol in the body to provide fuel.
Other than the religious prospects, incorporating fasting in your daily routine will surely boost your health. It might be a bit hard to fast in the starting but the health benefits related to it will surely motivate you. The earlier you start fasting, the earlier you will reap the benefits.