We all have been hearing this from a long time that we should consider eating brown rice instead of eating white rice. Rice is one such grain that is popular in all over the world and most of the people eat rice in different forms. However, in Asian countries, rice is more popular in comparison to other countries. Both brown rice and white rice are consumed in different parts of the world. But when thinking about the health benefit, people have started quitting white rice and have started consuming brown rice, because of the numerous benefits it has. There are some people who are still arguing on brown rice and white rice considering that white rice is better. That is why we are here to tell you about the difference between brown rice and white rice. Once you will read the difference between brown rice and white rice, you will know which of them is beneficial and which is not.
Brown Rice – It is a whole grain, which means it consists of the fibrous bran, nutritious germ, and endosperm also which is rich in carbs. These days brown rice is gaining popularity, and somewhere it is because of the high nutrients present in it.
White Rice – It is not like the brown rice, as it does not contain the fibrous bran and the nutritious germ. Both of them are stripped off, and only the endosperm is left. Later on, it is being processed and is polished to give it the white color. Now, as the bran and germ are being removed from the white rice, most of the nutrients that are present in the brown rice are missing in the white rice. This is one of the reasons why we say that brown rice is more beneficial and healthier.
Let’s know the differences between the brown rice and the white rice in terms of different factors like nutrients, presence of vitamins, minerals, and some benefits.
- If we compare the brown rice and the white rice in terms of vitamins, then you should know that brown rice has more vitamins present in it, in comparison to the white rice. Some of the vitamins present in the brown rice are Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K. Whereas in white rice, you will only find Vitamin B9 which is known as the Folic acid.
- If we compare them based on minerals, again the brown rice has more minerals present in it in comparison to the white rice. The minerals present in brown rice are Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Copper. Whereas the minerals present in the white rice are Calcium, Iron, and Sodium only.
- Brown Rice is rich in fiber as it contains the fibrous bran also. But white rice does not contain fiber in it.
- The shelf life of brown rice is less than the shelf life of white rice. Like Brown rice usually, have a shelf life of around 5 to 6 months only. Whereas, the white rice has a shelf life of around 8 to 10 years.
- Brown Rice has more amount of chlorine present in it in comparison to the white rice. You should know that chlorine present in the brown rice is quite helpful, as it has it helps in the functioning of the liver, muscle movement, and boosts metabolism also.
- Many people do not want to consume brown rice because of a different reason and that is the cost of brown rice. As brown rice is costlier and expensive than white rice.
- If you are thinking to have a low-calorie diet, we suggest you include brown rice in your diet instead of adding white rice. Because brown rice is low in calories in comparison to white rice. That is why for weight loss, it is always suggested that replace your white rice with brown rice.
- If you do not want to add more carbs in your diet, then go for the brown rice. As brown rice is lower in carbs in comparison to the white rice. One should limit their consumption of carbs as it can lead to obesity also.
- Cooking brown rice takes more time. Whereas cooking white rice takes less time compare to the brown rice.
- If we compare brown rice and white rice on the basis of the digestion factor, you should know that brown rice takes more time in digestion and is not easy to digest. It is because of the fiber and the nutrients present in the brown rice. Whereas white rice is easy to digest in comparison with brown rice. Again, this is because white rice has fewer nutrients present in it. Also, it does not have a lot of fibrous content, and that is also what makes it digestible. So, with all the differences between the brown rice and white rice you can know, whether the brown rice is more beneficial or white rice is more beneficial. We will recommend you to eat brown rice only by looking at the nutrients in it. We understand that it is costlier but you should know that health is more important. And if you are getting more nutrients from brown rice, then there is no harm in consuming it.