For building muscle mass, it’s important to have the macronutrient “Protein” in the body. Mostly. Protein is found in animal products, nuts, and legumes. If we classify the macronutrients. They are found in three types: Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats. It’s a fact that 15% of the bodyweight Protein. The organic compounds; hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, and carbon make amino acids. These amino acids are composed to form Protein. The Metabolism process in the body is supported by Protein and it also helps in providing strength to the immune system.
Importance of Protein
The human body also uses protein for repairing our tissues. It is necessary for every segment of our body, from building our bones to keep us healthy.
Why do we need Protein?
The cells in our body contain protein, this protein is made up of the composition for Amino Acids. The basic need of protein in our body is for repairing our cells and tissues. The healthy diet plan always contains a good quantity of protein for the proper growth of our body cells. This is why parents start adding protein in their kid’s diet as soon as they start eating. Starting from a kid to an older age human, Protein is essential for all of them.
Functions of Protein
- Helps in the growth and maintenance of the human body
- Acts amazingly as messengers
- Maintain the pH level in the body
- Helps in fighting the infections
- Transports and stores useful nutrients
- Provides energy
- Supports the immunity system of the body
- It balances the fluids in the body
The Powerful Protein
Our hair and nails are made up of protein, enzymes, and hormones. A lot of body chemicals are also made up of protein. Every essential thing in our body like cartilage, skin, blood and even muscles are made with the help of Protein. Just like other micronutrients, the body needs protein in a large quantity for better growth and development of the cells. Our body doesn’t store protein but utilizes it in several ways.
Our body gains protein from various protein-rich food items. But, another fact that protein can be developed through exercises. Protein is required in a modest amount keeping in mind the age and weight of the body.
– For an average teenager, seven ounces of protein for three to four times a day is enough.
– For children from 2 to 6 years of age, 5 ounces of protein is enough.
– For an average student, 2 servings of 6 ounces are enough.
It is said that 0.8 grams for our body are made up of protein. There are a lot of protein bars and shakes available in the market who is a great supplement of protein for a good diet. The supplements ensure that humans are getting the right amount of protein at the right time.
There are several sources of Protein that we can add in our diet plan. For example:
Meat, Fish, Eggs, Soy, Milk, Legumes, Nuts, Nut butter, Beans, etc. After our body digests the protein, Amino Acids are left behind. After doing exercise, protein helps in speedy recovery. This is because it doesn’t let the body to drain all its energy and stores it to utilize after. It can be found in a wide range of products.
Sources of good protein
Nonveg: Red Meat, Yellowfin Tuna, Lean ground beef, Pork chops, Chicken breast, sockeye salmon, Eggs, etc.
Dairy Food: Cottage cheese, Yogurt, Milk, etc.
Veg/Canned Food: Navy beans, Lentils, Soba Noodles, Mixed Nuts, Peanut butter, Edamame, Pulses, Soya Chunks, Chapati, Soya Bean, Wheat grain, Sprouts, etc.
Protein deficiency and health issues
People can suffer from protein deficiency if they do not consume a good amount of protein in their regular diet. Some of the problems people face because protein deficiency are:
- Lack of protein results in decreasing the thickness of the hair. People face hair loss and thin hair problems if their hair is not getting enough nutrition of protein.
- Protein also affects the growth of the body cells if not taken in a sufficient quantity. Most of the time, people with short heights suffer a deficiency in protein.
- Excess fluids in the body result in a health disorder known as Edema.
- People may suffer from the loss of muscle mass due to the lack of protein in the body.
We need to consume a good amount of protein every day in each meal. In India, dal is a rich source of Protein and people eat it in all the meals. There are several types of dals available in India which provide different health benefits including protein. Same way, there are a lot of dishes that can be added to the meal to fulfil protein intake in the human body. Eating a variety of food items will surely provide you with all kinds of proteins for good health.